The Kendal Leyland Clock – February Winner
The Kendal Leyland Clock
Did you guess where Otto visited on the 1st February? The answer was of course the Kendal Leyland Clock by the Brewery Arts Centre or the Shap Clock, if you know your history!
About The Leyland Clock
So what did Otto learn other than trying to tell the time? Well, the famous Leyland Clock use to stand proudly for years by the A6 on the way to Shap Fell, a mile north of the famous Jungle Café. This was to mark the exact halfway point between John O’Groats and Land’s End. Of course, now the Leyland Clock now resides back at its retirement home at the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal.
Leyland Motors Limited
The Kendal Leyland Clock wasn’t the only one created by Leyland Motors Limited. As part of an advertising scheme, 7 slighlty different looking clocks were erected at prominent locations on major trunk roads in the 1930s and another few were sent across the world plus replicas made at a later date. The consensus seems to agree that there were 11 clocks in total. Well, it’s safe to say the marketing stunt paid off as they soon became well-known landmarks in their own right.
Unfortunately, over the years, it has become increasingly difficult to track where all 11 Leyland clocks have ended up. Little is known about the whereabouts of some of them, whilst others still stand proudly like the Kendal Leyland Clock. Here’s what Otto managed to find out with the help of the world wide web:
The Lostock Hall Clock:
This was the prototype ans was sited on the A5083 (then known as the A667) south of Lostock Hall in Lancashire at the juction with Cuerdale Lane in early 1930. this clock was removed in the early 1960s.
The Lea Clock:
This one was sited on the A583 at Lea in Lancashire near the Lea Gate Hotel. This was the first of the ‘proper’ clocks. It was originally trialled near the Leyland Motors South Works for six months until being moved to Lea in 1931.
The Shap Clock:
This one was located on the A6, north of the Jungle Cafe approx. one and a half miles south of Shap summit. It was removed in 1970 and kept in storage in Kendal until it was re-erected in the yard of Kendal Arts Centre.
The Healam Bridge Clock:
This one was at Healam Bridge near Leeming on the A1. It was removed to Plawsworth on the A167 in 1955 and when finally dismantled was sent back to Leyland Motors. It was subsequently overhauled, then packed & shipped to the main Leyland agents in Sydney, Australia.
The Cherhill Clock:
This clock was sited near on the A4 near Calne in Wiltshire near to the Cherhill White Horse ancient monument. It was removed when the A4 underwent widening works in 1965.
The Hook Clock:
This clock was sited on the corner of the grounds of the Shack Cafe on the A30 near Hook, Hampshire. It is believed that this clock was removed in the late 50s – early 60s and is now on display in Cobham Bus Museum.
The Alconbury Clock:
This was sited on a low hill known as ‘Vinegar Hill’ on the A1 at Alconbury in Cambridgeshire. It stood in the grounds of a private house and disappeared when the then owner moved out. It was eventually traced to Rushden in Northamptonshire and is now in the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu.
The Daventry Bypass Clock:
This clock was located on the A425 Daventry Bypass at its junction with thw A45 near the Maple Leaf Garage. It was removed in 1966 to a garage in Salford where it is believed to remain.
The Capetown Clock:
This clock was originally sent to the Leyland Motors Ltd Service Centre in Capetown, South Africa in 1934. Not much is known about this clock (including its ultimate fate) apart from the fact that it was electric rather than mechanical like all the others.
The Centenary Clock:
This is a replica of the Shap Clock which was built as a show piece for the ‘Leyland 100′ celebrations on 2nd June 1996. The clock now stands on the roundabout at the intersection of Hough Lane, Churchill Way, Chapel Brow, East Street and Turpin Green Lane in Leyland, Lancashire.
Winding Otto Up
Despite the 2010 restoration, the mechanical Kendal Leyland clocks only succeeds in telling the time twice a day! Unfortunately, the once-proud claim of “LEYLAND MOTORS FOR ALL TIME ” does not hold true whilst the Clock is not functioning to its original purpose. It needs winding up every week, which was a job taken on by Mrs Lenore Knowles, known as the Leyland Lady back in the day, when the clock stood by the A6.
- The towers were designed by Franco Reflex Signs of London and the mechanism by William Potts and Sons Limited, clockmakers of Leeds.
- The outer shell of the clock was removed and preserved in the 1970s. But the clock’s innards were only found after an appeal by local enthusiasts.
- A £2,500 restoration project was funded by Cumbria Steam and Vintage Vehicle Society after an appeal by local vintage vehicle enthusiast Tim Holt.
- A retired GP from Carlisle discovered the missing workings of the clock in items left to him by a former patient 20 years ago.
And The February Winner Is…
So this time we had 18 entries of which 16 were correct! Using a random number generator, it’s time to announce the winner…*drum roll please*…
And so, the February 2014 Winner of £100 of LPC Furniture Vouchers goes to the lucky: Adrian Peacock!
Congratulations Adrain! And thank you to everyone who entered.
Otto would like to mention that next month there will be a different game to play! Keep a look out on our facebook page for more details!